Could people with a verve for art be hampered by disability ?


BY LEULSEGED WORKU
She was born half paralyzed. Pursuant of a remedial solution her parents had knocked almost all hospitals. They had tried traditional and modern treatments that could undo their daughter's problem. But their labor couldn't bear a fruit. Thus, like the lot of other Ethiopian children born handicapped ,she was kept at home.
Selam Kebede is a 24 years old visual artist. She joined Abyssinia Art School six years ago.
According to Selam, it was the dauntless and talented Worku, who proved a famous artist and gifted art teacher despite the disability he is living with, that inspired her to be an artist. Though he had lost both of his arms in his childhood he has proved one of the renowned Ethiopian visual artists.
Thanks to her aunt, Selam stood a chance to join the school and started to enjoy an outlet to the feelings crammed in her soul with different paintings. But, the path was not that simple. In a country like Ethiopia where the majority associate disability with inability the journey was a rocky one.
However, thanks to her behavioral malleability and flexible nature, she was able to convince her friends that she is capable of doing things by her own. True to her claim She demonstrated her knack for art through her paintings and sculptures.
I remember when I started to attend class I was an object of mockery to my friends . Such mentality was not confined to my friends alone. Some members of my family were considered me as a retarded girl incapable of doing something noteworthy. But, I proved them wrong..”
Considering disability as inability is rampant in our community. But the truth is disability can not be inability. In the global scene many are the individuals living with disability yet who turned role models.
According to Selam, art is powerful. It could not be bottled up by any physical disability. Art is already in one's head. If one has love for art, it won't be demanding to get an outlet for it. As a girl the right part of whose body is not functioning well, molding gypsum and producing a sculpture might prove difficult. But, with the help of her friends and her tutor Worku Mamo Selam has managed to produce some statues.
Concerning to my social interaction, I can say that I am totally changed. Formerly, I was very sensitive to what people comment about me .I was a timid girl. Often I used to cry at home. Each and every word hurled about me from less sensitive people came used to cut me bone deep. However after I sought refugee in art, I don't care whether people make negative or positive things about me. Through the course of time and thanks to the healing effect of art I have developed a good interpersonal relationship with people. Beside, my works are my best friends. They have a curative power. As a carapace they have shielded my mind from negative thoughts assailing me. They have rooted out the inferior complexity that took hold of my heart.
While leaving Sealm, this writer had a chance to meet Genet Kebede, General manager of Abyisinia Fine Art School. And he had posed this question to her “ Is disability inability? “
According to Gent disability by no means could be inability. Dilating on the point she said “ I am saying this from my experience. Once a boy had joined our school. He had some kind of mental disorder. It was his father who brought him to this school. Surprisingly this boy had a special talent of making designs hewing woods .However, this boy had a social problem. He was not willing to share his property with other students. For that reason they started to isolate him. This problem was not only restricted to the school. He was also in constant conflict with his family members. But whenever he felt melancholic it was his habit immersing himself into art. I remember once, he had some kind of disagreement with his brother at home. It was almost night. The school was closed. But the boy came to school and spent the night here in the school. ”//
Seeing the boys interest his father bought him some wood working machine and he started his own business. Currently, this boy is running a business hiring other workers.
When it comes to Selam, she is a diligent and dauntless girl. She comes to school early in the morning and go home in the evening. Whenever a new day comes, Selam is always there with her artistic works. She never gives up. She is always works hard to produce something.
There is a incorrect perception among the society that people living with disability or semi paralyzed individuals have no any role in this world. But, this is completely wrong.
We have to encourage them. We shall not use their weakness for slandering or discouraging them. Instead of that, as considerate fellow citizens, we have to help them fill the gaps within their life. We need to give them love. We have to be extra spiritual engine in their journey. ”
Indeed, everyone has a moral obligation and responsibility to support and encourage individuals like Selam. We have to avoid the old and rotten idea of considering people living with disability as a burden to the society.
Take Jessica Cox, the first person without arms to obtain a pilot's license as an example. The thirty-year-old Cox was born without arms. But she is capable of flying a plane. She achieved a black belt in Taekwondo when she was 14, and earned her bachelor's degree from the University of Arizona typing papers with her toes. She always dreamed of becoming a pilot, and in 2008, after years of persistent effort, she achieved this goal by soloing a single engine 1946 415C Ercoupe Airplane. Can you imagine what would be the fate of Jessica if she was born in a society like us? Could she archive all these? I better leave this issue open ended for readers to deliberate on..

Comments

Popular Posts