Beyond the art of Copy Editing

Written BY LEULSEGED WORKU

• Beyond the art of Copy Editing
• What does soul editors do?
As far as I know script editors, in the true sense of the word, are professionals that polish, refine and direct a given story or an article. Editors cut out an idea that doesn't fit to that particular story. In lieu of what they strike out they inject something new that adds taste to the story. They have a verve to spicing up things. In so doing, they enhance the quality or savoriness of that particular story. Rendering depth, they allow the script to draw readers' attention.
As a fledgling journalist I have come to realize that editing is not merely about weeding out errors, replacing misplaced words with the right ones or amending grammatical flaws. It has dawned on me editing is an art that goes beyond copy editing. It has also to do with shaping perspectives. Writers sometimes wad through a mesh of words and expressions. Helping out such writers mean what they say falls with the domain of editing. I call this cleansing the soul.
When a given editor edits a story he showcases to the reporter the art of a persuasive writing. If the editor is a positive thinker who is always willing and ready to share his/her thoughts to juniors, it is possible to diffuse new ideas. S/he must also believe on bilateral way of learning.
However, if the editor's heart is filled with ruefulness or negativity, let alone enthusing writers or reporters s/he could not even cleanses her/ his soul. Of course, s/he corrects diction and check grammars. The ultimate objective of editing must be pulling up ambitious and passionate writers transforming them.
I know most editors are critical thinkers and gate keepers. They have four eyes that see things from different perspective. But, critical thinking is not all about being a wordsmith. I believe it is also about purifying the soul.
As a social animal, we human beings have to pass through different experiences and we have to meet or cross ways with different human beings from different walks of life. As long as we keep on living in this planet we have to share experiences and adopt best value systems from others.
In this regard my seniors, who are reservoirs of knowledge and that have a good language command, have been my mentors and school of thoughts. Yes...! they have taught me how to think positively as well as negatively. When they edit my story or piece they have also cultivated my fertile mind ready to allow the growth of things. When they pick and drop words telling me words have shades and meanings I have learnt as to what flexibility means in life. When they trim unnecessary words or sentences from my literary piece they have showed me how to curtail unnecessary thoughts from my mind. People from such walks of life I encountered in the course of my reporting life have helped me not only to polish my grammar or hone my writing skills, they have also edited my soul. I regret missing this chance from my lecturers, most of which prove self obsessed and arrogant as a trend that hangs over to this generation. They always assume they are perfect and right ignorant that knowledge could be also obtained the hardest way. They had never been flexible.
Anyways my hat is flown for my soul editors.



Comments

Popular Posts